Meet Conscious Coffees:
Located in Boulder, Colorado, Conscious Coffees began in 1996 as a craft micro-roastery dedicated to working in direct partnership with coffee farming communities who share our priority to respect and protect the Earth and its people. We import and roast high quality, organic coffee, sourced directly from indigenous producer groups who have collectively organized into local farmer cooperatives. As we continue our organic growth curve, we acknowledge and embrace our relationship to social justice, environmental responsibility, and culinary artistry.
Conscious Coffees is committed to:
- Sourcing consciously. We purchase green coffee directly from producer partners through our coffee importing cooperative, Cooperative Coffees (coopcoffees.com). This arrangement enables true, long term, direct relationships with coffee growers, and eliminates the middlemen who often take potential revenue directly out of the hands of the farmers. We buy only certified organic coffee that is grown on small family farms that are collectively self-organized into cooperatives.
- Sustainable relationships and sustainable practices. Our mission is to create long term relationships with our growers, customers, and the environment which transcend volume and profits and emphasize cup quality, human rights, and sustainability.
- Fair Trade. We are proud members of the Fair Trade Federation (fairtradefederation.org).
- Quality. Conscious Coffees focuses on developing the perfect roast profile for each harvested crop, micro-adjusting this profile each week based on the cup quality, and maintaining the "sweet spot" throughout the life of the green coffee. We are fanatical about maintaining freshness of roasted coffee as well as the intricate science necessary for perfect brewing. We educate and train our wholesale and retail customers in areas of coffee storage, grinding, brewing, and serving/enjoying coffee.
- Education. We're committed to educating everyone possible about the social, environmental, and economic impacts of growing, harvesting, processing, roasting, and trading coffee. From detailed coffee descriptions and brewing tips on our site to public coffee cuppings at retail locations, we never stop fulfilling our obligation to complete the circle from farmer to consumer, giving credit where credit is due: Foremost, to our beloved coffee producers who, without their commitment, all of this would be trifling.
Conscious Coffees believes that our responsibility is to use the vehicle of business as a force for positive change, not to gain wealth at the expense of others or Mother Earth. Each person in our circle from farmer to consumer participates in an economically, socially, and environmentally responsible partnership.